Friday, February 15, 2008

~The day of true love OR a HUGE popularized marketing gimmick~

A single particular day where the men whole-heartedly fears, a day where the women feels like they are walking in the shoes of Juliet, and a day where florist, chocolate boutiques, gift shops are most happy of for this is the peak of their sales...forget the idea behind romance and bring on the $$! Men are too caught up in providing the perfect valentines for their women ( at least those who actually care too) becoming stress and splashing oh-too-much money on a flower that might have cost less that RM1 on an ordinary day and women anticipating the best valentines, topping the previous years, nervously hoping what their boyfriends have install for them... All these behaviours are so familiar when it comes to this time of the year, Valentine's Day. With the hustle and bustle of the celebration coming up, everyone tend to loose track of the actual meaning of Valentines.

I for one, have not had the change to celebrate a Valentines, though with the remarks above you might find me cynical but before you judge me, I would actually like to get the chance to experience a Valentines with a loved one unfortunately that has not come knocking on my door yet. After the many "missed" opportunities, I do wonder to myself, what do i expect of my Valentines? Here i am a sucker for romance and i am surrounded by people joyfully describing their romantic valentines experience topped with gifts and suprises and i admit to myself, I do want to be a part of such eventful day, being pampered and spoilt but then it hit me while drafting this post, shouldn't love be unconditional? Love is to give and expect nothing in return and I am thinking of my loved one now on the other side of the world and i wish nothing more than just to be with him so why is Valentines polluting my mind?!


I blame it all on the over-popularized, IDEA of Valentine's Day. Someone once told me that this comment, " Valentine's Day is everyday when your with the right person" is awfully corny, well i would agree if it was used as an excuse to get out of going through the trouble of pleasing one another but if it was said with actual love (haha you do not have to roll your eyes at this), it is actually true. Why wait till Valentines to buy flowers, or to have a romantic dinner or to do anything romantic for that matter! This can be done anytime of year and saves you a lot of money because your not doing it on the V day! Plus being part of the many people who did not celebrate Valentines, I have to voice out that this is discrimination on the singles (though i am not one currently). Everywhere you go your reminded that your single!! Its almost like a slap on the face to singles.

For example, I went to a cafe with friends with the "idea" that we have each other (hehe self-consolation...see!!! see what has valentines done to our minds) and it was a group of 5 to 7 people, what a blow we got when we noticed the tables were set in pairs!! We had to stand stupidly for several minutes till the waiters uncomfortably re-arranged the seatings to fit all of us while having the body-language of we rather give these seats to couples... HAHA...Second example, my friend went out with her friends too to celebrate and she text me feeling down that everywhere she turned there were couples and the gals were flaunting their gifts and flowers!! So does this mean on such occasion, it is mandatory for singles to stay at home and feel sorry for themselves because the public only welcomes couples?

Haih Valentine's Day, it sticks in your head and messes up your mind and ability to think rationally. What more can I say about this day? I am not a pessimist, again i say I am a sucker to romance just that there are several issues i feel strongly for. The amount of gal friends complaining to me feeling down and bad for themselves is enough to put me in such mood. Secondly few articles published in TheStar today gave me the inspiration to jot down my opinions and this particular article whereby four experts talk about love gave me the idea to express my two cents on the topic..LOVE..

Love at first sight....
I agree with Keith Miller, it is more like lust at first sight to put it bluntly. When i was younger i do believe in love at first sight but after going through several relationships it is definately lust or if you want to deny it than attraction-at-first-sight.

After a breakup, never....
plot the revenge or death of your partner. It is not meant to be so just LET GO and move on and you would find yourself falling in love again and two times happier!

The best part....
of love or being in a relationship is knowing you have someone there for you, to love you unconditionally even if your going through your worse moments, and not looking or feeling the best about yourself. Supporting you with encouraging words and making you feel good about yourself.

Fairy tales tend to leave out the part....
that they are meant to just make you feel good and to believe in love and that love do not come that easily. Fairy tales tend to leave out the part that NOTHING IS PERFECT. There are ups and downs to a relationship and the best thing is being able to go through that and to survive!

You can never predict....
the future, so do not take each other for granted and do not assume things will always go the way you plan it to be.

When it comes to relationships, people tend to under-estimate...
each other. Taking for granted that the other will always be there, forever, whenever you need him/her. Always receiving and not giving. Like i always say, it takes two to tango, two hands to clap therefore it takes two to make a relationship work if it is one way than it is better to end things before it gets worse.

Heartache is....
a feeling everyone goes through at least once, to those who have not gone through it I salute you. It is a realization that you loved, and a lesson...a step towards learning, maturing. I do believe that "everything happens for a reason".

Valentine's Day....
I think i have said enough on that! hehe

The longer you're with someone....
the more you know if he or she is the right one. Time would slowly prove its worth.


HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY

~Cheers~












3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I truly believe that we have reached the point where technology has become one with our world, and I am fairly certain that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further advances, the possibility of copying our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about every once in a while.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://will-the-r4-r4i-work.wetpaint.com/]nintendo dsi r4i[/url] DS KwZa)

Anonymous said...

All the other fixtures such as the water tank, piping, and flushing mechanism may be identical to those of a western toilet. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]mulberry outlet[/url Marketing Strategies. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose[/url] Xsnlktytk
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora charm[/url] Izjcnennp [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose[/url] kzuvnxfxe

maria john said...

Hi your thought about valentine day is so clear and the on that day girl feel like she in heaven im happy with your writing skills thank you and Visit here for more information